Kettle Falls School Board Working Protocol
- Surprises to the board or the superintendent will be the exception, not the rule. We agree to ask the board president or the superintendent to place an item on the agenda.
- Communications between staff and the board are encouraged. However, board requests which will likely require considerable time or have political implications are to be directed to the board president and/or superintendent. All personnel complaints and criticisms received by the board or its individual members will be directed to the board president and/or the superintendent.
- The last stop, not the first, will be the School Board. We agree to follow the chain of command and insist that others do so. While the board is eager to listen to its constituents and staff, each inquiry is to be referred to the person who can properly and expeditiously address the issue.
- The board will emphasize planning, policy making, and public relations rather than becoming involved in the management of the schools.
Self-Evaluation and Goals:
- The board will address its behavior by yearly self evaluation and by addressing itself to any individual problems.
- The board will set clear goals for themselves and the superintendent. The board and superintendent will set clear goals for the Kettle Falls School District.
- The superintendent is the chief executive officer and should recommend/propose/suggest on most matters before the board.
- Individual board members do not have authority. Only the board as a whole has authority. The board president will communicate the position(s) of the board on controversial issues.
- Conduct at a board meeting is very important. Individual members may disagree with a board action, but will support the decision of the board as a whole.
- If a board member believes he/she doesn’t have enough information or has questions, either the superintendent or the board chair is to be called before the meeting.
- Board meetings are for decision-making, action, and voting. If a board member wishes to discuss an item in the consent agenda, the board member will request to move the item to new business.
- Facts and information needed from the administration will be referred to the superintendent.
- Executive sessions will be held only when specific needs arise. Board members will be sensitive to the legal ramifications of their meetings and comments.
The board will represent the needs and interests of all the children in the Kettle Falls School District.