Kettle Falls School District Highly Capable Program
Annual Notification Announcement
As part of Kettle Falls School District’s commitment to student learning, we offer opportunities for learning enrichment through the K-12 Highly Capable Program.
Highly capable students perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments.
Learning characteristics include:
1. the capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations
2. the capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers
3. creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts
4. the ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength
5. the capacity for intense concentration and focus
Any teacher, parent/guardian, student, or community member who has knowledge of the student’s abilities may refer a student for entry into Kettle Falls’ Highly Capable Program. Referral forms are available in the elementary, middle and high school office. Referrals may be submitted at any time during the academic year and parental permission will be obtained before conducting any assessments for eligibility.
Student eligibility for the Highly Capable Program is determined through the professional judgment of a multidisciplinary committee through the use of multiple criteria:
1. Academic achievement
2. Teacher and parent recommendations
3. Evidence of highly capable learning characteristics
4. Cognitive test scores
The Highly Capable Committee will review nominations periodically throughout the year and families will be notified by mail of the screening results.
Please contact Greg Price at: 738-6625 x329 for further information.